We expect so much from hair extensions, yet we don’t always put in the work to take care of them. Hair extensions require work as they are not like our own hair. The better you take care of your tape in hair extensions, the longer they will last. With our own hair, we have natural oils that keep the hair healthy, but this is not the case with hair extensions . You want to maintain the beautiful quality so you can reuse and re-tape your tape in extensions by following these tips. Once hair extensions are cut, they require much more care to make the hair last, especially semi-permanent hair extensions, because these hair extensions are worn everyday. Here are great tips to care for human hair extensions. Hair extensions must be cared for daily, you cannot wash and go. We know many girls who have worn our hair extensions for over 1 year and have reused them over and over. The key to their success has been taking care of the hair every day.
Tips for wearing seamless tape in hair extensions:
- Keep your hair extensions clean and untangled by taking time to care for them every day.
- Do not comb or brush the hair extensions while hair is wet.
- Never sleep with wet hair extensions. Always make sure the hair is dry and pulled up or preferably put into a braid to keep hair from tangling at night.
- Brush the hair with a hair extension brush several times a day. Be sure to brush properly, holding the roots to prevent pulling on the bonds. Use a wide tooth comb to remove tangles if needed.
- Use high quality hair care products but don’t overdo it, too much hair care product can cause build up and tangling over time. So you want to be careful with the amount of product you use. Never use any products containing oil, alcohol or ethanol as this can damage the hair extensions and also wear down on the adhesive. Try your best to use sulfate free shampoo and conditioner as well as 100% natural hair products to keep hair extensions in good condition.
- Never lighten the hair extensions. If you want to color hair extensions only go within 2 shades DARKER.
- When working out with hair extensions or swimming with hair extensions, be sure to remove excess sweat and chlorine after working out.
- When using hot tools be sure to use a heat protectant spray! The more you use heat on your hair, the shorter the life-span of the hair extensions.
- Do not use a flat iron directly on the tape tabs. This will weaken the bond and they will slip out.
- When using conditioner, condition from mid-shaft to ends only. Do not apply conditioner to your scalp when wearing tape in hair extensions.
- When using serums or oils avoid contact with the tape, use on mid length to ends only. We use natural products such as coconut oil on the ends of the extensions to keep the hair healthy and shiny over time.
- Every 6-10 weeks, your hair extensions will need to be reapplied to move the bonds closer to the scalp and to keep your hair healthy.
- Tape in extensions are not best for those who have lost a significant amount of hair due to any illnesses or for those that have extreme hair thinning. Consult with your stylist about another option.
- Clarifying shampoo BEFORE going to your stylist is KEY. The stylist should also use clarifying shampoo prior to installing the hair extensions. Conditioner should not be used during application of hair.
- Since a person’s average natural hair loss is between 50-100 strands per day you will see a small amount of naturally released hairs in between the tape bonds at time of removal. This is normal and should not be interpreted as hair loss due to wearing hair extensions.
At the end of the day, this hair is gorgeous and so are you! We want to keep it that way! So take care of your hair and you will find out how long they last!