Tape extensions are a semi-permanent hair extension that are for professional use only and should be applied in a salon by a trained professional! Some people think you just "tape on" or stick the "tape extensions" on your hair one by one-FALSE! They need to be taped in-NOT ON! Tape extensions do not get simply taped on-you would be surprised the amount of people that actually just stick them on their head and go-we wish! Sticking tape extensions to your hair will NOT work properly and they will fall out within a few hours. Tape IN extensions are taped in BONDS in between your own hair, they are bonded together in a "sandwich" in between your own hair. They are designed to last 8-12 weeks and are reusable for 3-4 applications. They are made with a strong medical grade adhesive and with proper application and maintenance they usually not slip for AT LEAST 8 weeks. Tape extensions CAN NOT be applied by yourself or a friend-they simply will not last because the tape bonds need to be applied precisely to bond together correctly.
If you had your tape extensions professional installed by a certified professional and they are still slipping out here are the most common reasons why:
Top reasons why tape extensions slip:
- Improper Application: The NUMBER ONE reason why tape extensions slip is that they are applied outside of the salon or you applied them yourself-this is the MOST common reason why tape extensions slip. If you had your friend apply them and you expect them to last as if you went to a professional, you're setting yourself up for disappointment as they will slip. ALSO: Going to a salon where the hairstylist IS NOT trained will ALSO make them slip. The hairstylist may not know how to properly apply them. Ask the hairstylist, are they certified in tape in hair extensions? The answer should be yes! Putting too much or too little hair in between the bonds will cause the hair to slip. Clarifying must be done three times too. Also, at the time of reapplication, the tape wefts must be properly cleaned and reapplied. Again, all of this is learned through proper tape in hair extension certification.
- Same Day Chemical Treatments: Hair color or chemical treatments done the same day of a tape in application will cause slippage. Chemical processing of your own hair (all color, keratin etc) should be done a week before tape in application.
- Product Buildup: Excess product buildup breaks down the tape. No alcohol or oil based products should be used while wearing tape extensions, it will break tape adhesive down much faster. Be sure to use special hair extension hair care to ensure long lasting tape extensions.
- Thin or Super Fine Hair: If you have thin or fine hair, you will need to have your tape extensions applied differently. For women with thin or fine hair, you must have the tape extensions installed using the Single Sided tape in method!
- Naturally Oily Scalp/Hair: There are those that have excess oil and have naturally oily hair. Tape extensions won't hold as long and you will need to replace your tape extensions more frequently-every 6 weeks to so.
So did your tape extensions slip? Not the end of the world! The good news is they are reusable! Simply get new tape and re-apply like new! Problem Solved!!
So many salons and stylists are jumping on this hot trend as it is most requested by clients! But what we hate to hear is when a tape in application goes wrong. What goes wrong? The extensions start slipping out and you're not sure why? Here are some reasons tape in extensions will slip out. Hint: it's not the product that's defective. Read part two of why tape extensions slip here.
EXTENDED VERSION: WHY TAPE EXTENSIONS SLIP
Reason 1 Improper Application: Believe it or not, the number on reason for tape extensions slipping comes down to application. Using a trained extension specialist is key. Application must be done properly to ensure proper hold. We can tell you how many times we have hear that the hair stylist looked up on Youtube "how to apply tape in extensions" and thinks they know how to apply tape in extensions properly. Without any proper training they "apply" the hair and then the hair extensions fall out within a short time after application. Tape in extensions do not just fall out, ever. They don't just slip out with proper application. The only reason this would happen to someone is if their hair stylist is not properly trained. Improper placement or applications will cause the hair to slip, adding too much or too little hair will cause the tape to slip. Even something as little as TOUCHING the tape tabs with their fingers during application can be the cause. Proper application is so important and it's the only way the product will work! That is why we offer online education and teach stylists how to apply tape in extensions. We recommend using a certified professional, one that has training in seamless tape-in extensions. It seems easy to tape and go, but if they are applied incorrectly the hair will slip out. See a photo we made to demonstrate how to apply tape in extensions. Note: this does not replace proper training.
Reason 2 Hair Products: Natural products work best with tape extensions. Sulfate free shampoo and conditioner should be used. Shampoo and conditioner with sulfates break down the tape over time, allowing the tape in hair extensions to slip as the tape breaks down. Also, any hair care products with alcohol should not be used on the tape bonds as this will also break down the adhesive over time. Using the right products along with keeping all products off the tape bonds will ensure you have a strong bond that lasts for 3 months. Hair oils, sprays, conditioners should NEVER be applied directly on the bonds or it will break down faster.
Reason 3 DIY: If you do a search on Youtube about tape in hair extensions you will see some girls saying that they applied the tape in hair extensions themselves and saying you can do it too! This is false information! You should never ever apply tape in extensions yourself! Tape in extensions are not DIY! Not at all! They need to be properly installed so the hair extensions can last and also lay flat. Please ladies, seek a trained professional so you can have gorgeous hair that lasts. Tape extensions cost less as they take less than an hour and should be done at a salon, it makes all the difference. Having your friends or husband apply them may cause them to slip!
These are the most common reasons why tape in extensions may slip out! The good news is that unlike fusion extensions, the tape extensions can be easily reapplied! We recommend using our Super Blue Tape to reapply your extensions. This will give you a strong, long lasting bond. When going to reapply tape in extensions make sure to remove all tape and oil before applying new tape. Read part two on why tape in hair extensions can slip here.