Ahh, hair extensions! A women's best kept secret. Now that you've invested into high quality hair you want to make sure that you care for your extensions so they last. Hair extensions do not contain natural oils as your natural hair, so therefore you must take extra time to care for your extensions and use hair care specially formulated for your Glam Seamless hair extensions. Our hair is of the highest quality, but if you do not take care of them the hair can become dry and will not last as long. Particularly with tape extensions, you need to make sure you take time every day to care for your hair. Be sure to follow these tips so you can get the longest wear out of your hair extensions. When taken care of properly our hair extensions can be used up to three applications.
Tips for wearing seamless tape in hair extensions:
- Keep your hair extensions clean; tape extensions can slip when you have added oil or product buildup in the roots. That doesn't mean you have to wash them everyday, but be sure to use dry shampoo to remove oil and product buildup in between washes.
- It is important that you do not use products with high silicone or sulphates as this may affect the bonds.
- Keep the hair untangled by taking time brush the hair every day.
- Every 6-12 weeks, your hair extensions will need to be reapplied to move the bonds closer to the scalp and to keep your hair healthy. The amount of time depends on how long your own hair grows. The faster your hair grows you will have to reapply hair to have a better hold.
- Do not comb or brush the hair extensions while hair is wet without holding at the roots, this will cause the tape to slip out.
- Never sleep with wet hair extensions. Always make sure the hair is dry and pulled up or preferably put into a braid to keep hair from tangling at night.
- Brush the hair with a hair extension brush several times a day. Be sure to brush properly, holding the roots to prevent pulling on the bonds. Use a wide tooth comb to remove tangles if needed.
- Use high quality hair care products but don’t overdo it, too much hair care product can cause build up and tangling over time. So you want to be careful with the amount of product you use. Never use any products containing oil, alcohol or ethanol as this can damage the hair extensions and also wear down on the adhesive.
- Use sulfate free shampoo and conditioner as well as 100% natural hair products to keep hair extensions in good condition.
- It is best to use a hair mask once a week to revive your hair extensions. We recommend using a conditioning treatment on the mid-lengths to ends of your hair extensions. We recommend our luxe Argan Oil Glam Over hair mask. Note: never use any oils or conditioners on the roots where your tape extensions are bonded.
- Never lighten the hair extensions-bleaching on any type of hair always ruins the quality making hair dry and brittle. If you want to color hair extensions only go within 2 shades DARKER. Use semi or demi hair color only. Use our shade #613 and color that to your color of choice. Note when coloring hair extensions they process fast so check on them.
- When working out with hair extensions or swimming with hair extensions be sure to remove excess sweat and chlorine after working out.
- When using hot tools be sure to use a heat protectant spray! The more you use heat on your hair, the shorter the life-span of the hair extensions.
- When using serums or oils avoid contact with the tape, use on mid length to ends only. We use natural products such as coconut oil on the ends of the extensions to keep the hair healthy and shiny over time.
- Tape in extensions are not best for those who have lost a significant amount of hair due to any illnesses or for those that have extreme hair thinning. Consult with your stylist about another option.
- Since a person’s average natural hair loss is between 50-100 strands per day you will see a small amount of naturally released hairs in between the tape bonds at time of removal. This is normal and should not be interpreted as hair loss due to wearing hair extensions. You lose hair every day naturally, but when you have tape extensions the hair remains in between the tape bonds.
Note: Excessive sweat from working out, steam baths, saunas, and sea salt swimming may lessen the longevity of the extensions. Precautions should be taken to reduce the amount of exposure to these activities if you want your tape extensions to last the full 12 weeks.